It's been a couple of weeks since the launch of Reliance Jio. The telco has attractive plans and is free to use till December 31, so naturally, a lot of people would like to start using Jio.
The catch is that Reliance Jio runs fully on 4G so unless you have a compatible phone, you're not going to be able to use the network. If your phone doesn't support 4G (for data) and VoLTE (for calls), you'll not going to be able to use Jio.
If that's the case, you have two options. One, you could buy a new phone - here are our top picks of phones that support Jio - or two, you can use the company's Jio4GVoice app, available on Android. Jio4GVoice, which was initially launched as JioJoin, is a dialer for Reliance Jio that can be used to make "rich" calls from your Jio phone, or to use Jio without a 4G capable phone. This only works with a Jio connection - you either have to have a Jio SIM in your phone, or be connected to a JioFi device. Here's how it works.
How to download and setup Jio4GVoice app?
The steps given outline how to use the Jio4GVoice app. In the next section, we talk about whether you need to use it at all.
- First, install the app on your phone, using the MyJio app or install directly from the Play Store.
- If you're using a 3G phone, the app will ask you to connect to your JioFi Wi-Fi network.
- If you're using a 4G phone, it'll use the 4G network to connect to Jio.
- Once the app is connected, it'll verify your Jio connection.
- Then you've got to tap Get started to, well, get started.
- Next, you're asked to make Jio your default SMS app. You can just tap No on this message if you prefer.
Now Jio4GVoice is set up. You can use it as your dialler to call someone or send them an SMS.
How to make calls with Jio4GVoice app?
Follow these steps:
- Tap on a contact. Now, just put your phone to your ear to start the call.
- If you're calling another Jio user, you can also "prepare" the call.
- You can tap on the camera icon on the left to send an image, the location icon in the middle to send your location, or the urgent call icon on the right to mark the call as urgent, with a short message.
- You can tap the video icon on the bottom left to place a video call.
- Or you can tap the phone icon on the bottom right to place a voice call.
So that's how it works.
I've got a VoLTE phone, do I need Jio4GVoice app?
No, you do not. Just use your normal phone dialler to call people. Jio4GVoice has some additional features, but it's something you can easily ignore.
Jio4GVoice allows you to send an SMS to your contacts, or to call them. You can also connect multiple users with a bridge call, which is all stuff you can normally do. When calling someone, you can also press the urgent call button, which shows up on your contact's phone so they know it's not just chit chat. While in a call, you can also share your location, or share images, which sounds useful, but is rarely used.
My phone has 4G but not VoLTE - do I need Jio4GVoice?
As you probably already know, you can't place calls on the Reliance Jio network, if your phone doesn't support the VoLTE standard. Most Snapdragon powered 4G phones support VoLTE, and a fair number of MediaTek phones as well, so this is an unlikely combination, but if you happen to fall into this group, then you'll have to use Jio4GVoice to make calls.
It works exactly as described in the first part of this article, and although we felt that the Jio4GVoice dialler is a little clunky, it's the only option you've got here.
I have a 3G phone, is Jio4GVoice for me?
If you got a 3G phone, then you can't use Reliance Jio directly on your handset. The workaround here is to get yourself a JioFi wi-fi hotspot and connect your phone to this. There are some drawbacks to doing this, as you'll need to carry around two devices on the go, but it's still an easier option than going out and buying an entirely new phone just to take advantage of Jio's plans.
Getting a JioFi and connecting your phone to it over Wi-Fi means that your data is now being served over the Jio network. You still can't use it to make calls though - and Jio offers fully free voice calls. The good thing is that the Jio4GVoice app allows you to bridge connections and use the Jio network to make calls, as long as your phone is connected to the JioFi hotspot.