Huawei Prepares for Sharp Drop in Global Smartphone Shipments: Report

Huawei executives are said to be expecting a drop in volumes of anywhere between 40 million to 60 million smartphones this year.

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 17 June 2019 10:16 IST

Huawei Technologies is preparing for a 40% to 60% decline in international smartphone shipments, Bloomberg reported on Sunday.

The Chinese technology company is looking at options that include pulling the latest model of its marquee overseas smartphone, the Honor 20, according to the article, which cited people familiar with the matter.

The device will begin selling in parts of Europe, including Britain and France, on June 21, the report said. Executives will be monitoring the launch and may cut off shipments if the sales are poor, it said.

Advertisement

Marketing and sales managers at the tech giant are internally expecting a drop in volumes of anywhere between 40 million to 60 million smartphones this year, the report said.

Advertisement

In order to offset overseas decline, Huawei is aiming to grab up to half of China's smartphone market in 2019, Bloomberg said. The company did not respond to a Reuters request seeking comment.

The US government put Huawei, the world's largest telecommunications equipment company, on a trade blacklist in May that bars US suppliers from doing business with it because of what Washington says are national security concerns.

Advertisement

At the time, Huawei founder and chief executive Ren Zhengfei said the restrictions "may slow, but only slightly" the company's growth.

A similar US ban on China's ZTE, almost crippled business for Huawei's smaller rival early last year before the curb was lifted.

Advertisement

The company's woes are feeding into trade tensions between Washington and Beijing. President Donald Trump has said US complaints against Huawei could be resolved within the framework of any trade deal.

The ban has been eased slightly to allow a temporary general license that lets Huawei purchase US goods.

However, Broadcom sent a shockwave through the global chipmaking industry last week when it forecast that the US-China trade tensions and the Huawei ban would knock $2 billion off this year's sales.

© Thomson Reuters 2019

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Huawei, US, China, Bloomberg
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. OnePlus 12R Gets OxygenOS 16 Update With These New Features
  2. Emily in Paris Season 5: Know When, Where to Watch the Romance Comedy Series
  1. Fermi Telescope Detects Gamma-Ray Halo That Could Be First Direct Dark Matter Signal
  2. Researchers Develop New Materials for Truly Stretchable OLED Screens
  3. OxygenOS 16 Update Rolling Out to OnePlus 12R Globally, Brings New AI Tools and Upgraded Performance
  4. Dhurandhar OTT Release: Know When, Where to Watch the Ranveer Singh, Sanjay Dutt-Starrer
  5. Born Hungry Is Now Streaming Online: Know Where to Watch the Journey of Chef Sash Simpson
  6. Brat Is Streaming Now: Where to Watch Darling Krishna’s Betting-World Drama
  7. Bad Guys 2 OTT Release: When and Where to Watch the Animated Heist-Comedy
  8. Apple Tipped to Turn to Intel to Build Its Entry-Level M-Series Chipsets
  9. Paanch Minar Is Now Streaming Online: Know Where to Watch Raj Tarun's Crime Comedy
  10. Samsung Galaxy Tab A11+ Launched in India With 11-Inch Display, 7,040mAh Battery: Price, Specifications
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2025. All rights reserved.