Provident fund (PF) is a benefit many Indian companies provide to their employees. Usually, a portion of your salary is deducted and deposited in your EPF (Employees' Provident Fund) account. Companies often match this contribution, which means that if Rs. 1,000 is deducted every month from your account as PF, then your employer will also deposit Rs. 1,000 in your account, doubling your PF balance. This small monthly amount adds to your PF balance and becomes your safety net in the long run. Many people don't know how to check their PF balance but the process is actually quite simple.
How to check PF balance online by UAN
Follow these steps to check your PF balance by UAN.
- Be sure to activate your Universal Account Number (UAN). Wait for six hours after activating UAN for your account to get activated.
- After activating your UAN, wait for six hours. This is the time it takes for the newly activated account to be accessible.
- Next, go to the EPFO website's member passbook page.
- Enter your UAN, password, and captcha. Click Login.
- This will open your EPF account. On the left-hand side, under Select MEMBER ID to View PassBook, click your passbook to check your PF balance.
Some people may have multiple passbooks in their EPF account and usually one of these passbooks has the full amount mentioned. You just need to find the most recent one and you'll be able to check your PF balance.
How to check PF balance via SMS
These steps will help you check your PF balance simply by sending an SMS. As long as your UAN has been activated at some point, this method allows you to check your PF balance without UAN.
- Make sure your UAN is activated by following the steps here. Wait for six hours after activating UAN for your account to get activated.
- From the mobile number registered under your UAN, send EPFOHO UAN in an SMS to 7738299899.
- Immediately after this, you will receive an SMS from EPFO showing your PF balance.
- If you want this information in languages other than English, you can add the first three letters of any supported language. For instance, if you want this in Tamil, send EPFOHO UAN TAM to 7738299899.
Supported languages are Bengali, English, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi, Punjabi, Tamil, and Telugu. Just pick the first three letters of any supported language and replace it in step 4 above.
How to check PF balance via missed call
There is a way to check your PF balance just by giving a missed call as well. As long as your UAN has been activated at some point, this method allows you to check your PF balance without UAN. Follow these steps.
- Make sure you activate your UAN. Wait for six hours after activating UAN for your account to get activated.
- Make sure you have integrated KYC (Know Your Consumer) details against the UAN. This means either your bank account number, Aadhaar, or PAN has to be linked to the UAN. If this isn't done, you should speak with your employer to get this done.
- After you have completed these two steps, give a missed call to +911122901406 from the phone number registered against your UAN. The call will automatically get disconnected after two rings.
- Now you will receive an SMS with your PF balance.
For more tutorials, visit our How To section.
For the latest tech news and reviews, follow Gadgets 360 on Twitter, Facebook, and Google News. For the latest videos on gadgets and tech, subscribe to our YouTube channel.