General Discussion

Net Neutrality in India

5 Replies Software, Apps & Services Last Reply: 8 years ago 3 Users

A new consultation paper by Trai suggests that all apps and websites should be regulated to be accessed in India. You can read the full paper as a PDF on Trai's site but it is over 100 pages of roundabout language that seems designed to be hard to read. Don't get put off though, because this could really affect you. Reading the paper, you get the sense that Trai wants apps like Skype, Whatsapp and Viber to cost you more to use, despite saying that net neutrality is important.

In fact, Trai's draft also goes beyond teleco issues, and talks about healthcare, cultural sensitivity and cyber-bullying. There are different government departments that already look at these different issues, so should Trai be getting involved?

These regulations could lay the groundwork for higher prices to access your favourite websites. The apps that you want to use might not be available at all if licensing becomes required. And it could become harder than ever for Indians to start online businesses, as more and more layers of bureaucracy get added.

What do you think? Should apps and websites be licensed? Do you think that companies like Vodafone and Airtel should be allowed you to charge a special fee for every site, the way you pay for different channel packages on your television?

GS
By Gopal Sathe
Posted On: Apr 02, 2015 06:15 AM
Displaying 5 of 5 replies
Sort By:
Recent
That's a good thing you didn't post your blog link LOL, optimize SEO and use Backlinking to get traffic, trust me, I'm
Updated May 19, 2015 10:15 AM

That's a good thing you didn't post your blog link LOL, optimize SEO and use Backlinking to get traffic, trust me, I'm a professional webmaster, doing all this stuff for like 3 years stuck_out_tongue

Reply Report Share
Is this review helpful?
Net Neutrality must be respected in India and anywhere around the world. Instead of giving certain services for free,
Updated May 19, 2015 10:12 AM

Net Neutrality must be respected in India and anywhere around the world. Instead of giving certain services for free, why can't provides just drop the overall prices. New plans like Airtel Zero, Internet.Org (Reliance) and free Whatsapp, Facebook and Wikipedia (Aircel) just show how much profit these companies make from us when we previously had no access to them.

For all those who think these plans are good, imagine just some of the possible side-effects:

• Multiplayer gaming on the Xbox/Playstation might get costlier because the other company gave your ISP(Internet Service Provider) some fee.
  • You wouldn't be allowed to enter the website of your ISP's competitor.
  • Going to a shopping site will get costlier cause your ISP tied up with the shopping site's rival.
  • Ordinary browsing on specific devices can get costlier cause your ISP tied up with your device's company's rival.

Worst of all:

• Your ISP might charge you extra to go to Google cause it tied up with Microsoft (Bing)/Yahoo to promote the respective search site. scream

Think about it......

PS:Tanuj, I dropped he blog link stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

Reply Report Share
Is this review helpful?
8 Years Ago
Thank you Reloaded
Updated Apr 27, 2015 10:39 AM

Thank you Reloaded smile

Reply Report Share
Is this review helpful?
Yes Tanuj i will agree with
Updated Apr 27, 2015 10:20 AM

Yes Tanuj i will agree with you.

Reply Report Share
Is this review helpful?
I strictly oppose Airtel's 'zero' project, everything which we see online comes under the 'INTERNET', this is like an
Updated Apr 27, 2015 05:17 AM

I strictly oppose Airtel's 'zero' project, everything which we see online comes under the 'INTERNET', this is like an offence to me, surfing through a handful sites for free but giving a large amount of money for suring the others? NO, HELL NO.

These companies just see their profit, apps like WhatsApp which allows us to make calls to registered users for free with an amount of data, are you angry Airtel that your bussiness is going down? Well, let it be, we simply don't care, you have such high rates for data packs, BSNL is 1000x better than you, it has so low rates and even let's us call for free at night with landlines.

Reply Report Share
Is this review helpful?
Create a new discussion
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2024. All rights reserved.